You might be getting a notice from your Office applications stating “Ask your admin or helpdesk for office, before you can use office your admin needs to assign a license to your account”
In a nutshell, Microsoft 365 has many different licenses and some are just for cloud services such as email and OneDrive and do not include the Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. It’s a very simple fix and you just need to upgrade your license on Microsoft 365.
An admin needs to log in at portal.office.com and change the affected users license, you may need to procure a license before you can switch, and make sure to cancel the license you will no longer be using.
- Log in at portal.office.com
- Click “admin” on the left
- Click “Billing” and then “Purchase services”
- Depending on how you procure your liceses you may have a couple of options, if you’ve managed the licenses yourself you should be able to buy “Microsoft 365 Buiness Standard (or above)” if your licenses are managed elsewhere you may need to contact the reseller.
If required Aurora Tech Support can manage you licenses for you, please get in touch if you need help.
- Once you have purchased the licenses you require click on “Users” and then “Active users”
- Select the user you wish to upgrade the license for and click “Licenses and apps”
- Change the Office licenses to the newly purchased “Microsoft 365 Business Standard” or above.
- Click “Save changes”
For a quick (rough) guide the most popular Microsoft 365 licenses are as follows.
Microsoft 365 Business Basic – £3.80 net per month per user
Microsoft 365 Apps for Business – £7.90 net per month per user
Microsoft Desktop Apps such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Microsoft 365 Business Standard – £9.40 net per month per user
Emails, OneDrive, Sharepoint, Microsoft Desktop Apps such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
If you require any assistance please give our team a call and we’d be happy to help out, we can be added as a delegated admin to your existing Microsot 365 account and help manage licenses and more.